This recipe is almost as old as I am!! And still the best one ever!! I started making these when I was about fourteen – and soon I was making 6 batches at a time – my granny loved them, my brother and his buddies – everyone enjoyed them!!
The original recipe was printed on the Chipits bag when I first started baking!
I am posting this recipe especially for my buddy clown – on Wiglington and Wenks – wish I could bake some for you!! But here’s how to do it yourself –
The photos are of a quadruple batch I made on Hallowe’en 2010. (4 times the recipe)
Turn on some good cookie making music – I listened to Baroque and Beyond on XM Satellite Radio while I baked these.
Turn on your oven to 375F to preheat.
Cookie sheets ready to be greased and cooling racks.
Ingredients and mixing instructions
Cream 1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use Demerara sugar)
1/4 cup white sugar
Mix these together until fluffy (this is called creaming – so think creaming the sugar into the butter)
I use an electric hand mixer
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix these in – but just until mixed.
(and YES – I did catch that egg-shell and get it out!!)
1 cup white flour (I use unbleached)
1/2 teaspoon baking SODA
1/2 teaspoon salt
add these in gradually – mixture will be thick
at least one cup of chocolate chips (I like dark chocolate but choose your favorite). I always test the chocolate chips to make sure they are fresh!!
at least 1/2 cup nuts (I use pecans)
Showing you the right way to use a cleaver to chop the nuts and not your fingers!
(nuts are optional – obviously do not use any if anyone who will eat them has a nut allergy!!)
mix these in by hand
drop about 3 tablespoons of batter for each cookie onto greased cookie sheet
bake at 375F for about 12 minutes
use flipper to remove cookies onto wire rack to cool
let cool a few minutes before eating or the chocolate will burn you!!
1. always use GOOD quality ingredients – I use real butter and real vanilla extract.
2. make sure your cookie sheet is NOT black – if it is your cookies will burn on the bottom.
3. place your oven rack above the middle of your oven. If it is down at the bottom – your cookies will burn on the bottom before the tops cook.
4. you want the cookies to be a lovely brown color so watch them. Do this through the oven window – not by opening the oven door and letting all the heat out!!
5. most ovens are NOT accurate – the oven will either be hotter or cooler than you set it – start by baking two cookies – if they cook too fast – adjust oven temperature down – if they are still raw after 12 minutes – turn up oven. (I can figure out a new oven pretty quickly with this method and I only burn 2 cookies at the most if it is really off)
6. I like pecans but macadamia nuts are also great!! Walnuts can be bitter but they are much cheaper.
7. DOG ALERT!! Both the chocolate and the macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs – the combo will make your dog very ill!!
hope you enjoy these as much as I do!!
Awesome with hot mocha or hot chocolate – here is some ready for Gramps and me!!